fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Cresswell Gardens (Kensington & Chelsea)

Brief Description

These private communal gardens were provided for residents of the houses of Creswell Gardens that back onto it, which were built as part of the Gunter Estate. The development of the estate took place from the 1840s onwards, and Cresswell Gardens was built at the latter phase of the development, in 1884-5.

Practical Information
Site location:
Cresswell Gardens, off Old Brompton Road
Postcode:
SW5
What 3 Words:
either.quench.horns
Type of site:
Private Garden
Borough:
Kensington & Chelsea
Open to public?
No
Opening times:
private
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Gloucester Road, South Kensington (District, Circle, Piccadilly)
Research updated:
01/10/2007
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Full Site Description

Cresswell Gardens was built in 1884-5 as part of the Gunter Estate development in the area and was named after Cresswell Lodge. The Gunter family had made their money selling confectionery and had begun to acquire land in the area from the latter part of the C18th; James Gunter had become a partner of successful Italian pastrycook Domenico Negri, whose business at 7 Berkeley Square was established in 1757 and soon became prosperous. James began investing his money in land in the then rural area around Brompton Lane (now Old Brompton Road), including a house to the north, Earls Court House, where the family lived. When his son Robert inherited the business on his death in 1819 the land holding was considerable. But although some plots had been let for building by the mid 1840s, 73 of the estate's c.81 acres remained undeveloped and leased to farmers and market gardeners. From the late 1840s Robert Gunter began to develop the estate lands, beginning with The Boltons (q.v.) and moving north and east with large houses and terraces. His sons James and Robert continued to develop the estate following his death in 1852. George Godwin was appointed estate surveyor in 1848. By then, Godwin, who was local to Kensington, already had useful experience as District Surveyor for South Islington, and had erected one or two houses on Fulham Road with his father, also an architect or builder. As estate surveyor Godwin was responsible for the overall street layout and amenities, and overseeing the work undertaken by the contractors and developers who leased the building plots.

In 1884 the site of what became Nos. 1-9, 14-17 Cresswell Gardens was let to G. J. Spicer, solicitor, son of John Spicer who had taken numerous leases for development on the estate from 1850s-70s. The houses were designed by architect Maurice Hulbert. Nos. 10-12 were built in 1937.

Sources consulted:

RBKC The Boltons Conservation Area Policy Statement; 'The Boltons and Redcliffe Square area: Existing buildings', Survey of London: volume 41: Brompton (1983), pp. 237-240.

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ261783 (526146,178378)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
private
Site management:
Date(s):
1884-85
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
The Boltons
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Article 4 Direction: 10-12 Cresswell Gardens

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.