fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Earl's Terrace (Kensington & Chelsea)

Brief Description

This is a private area of garden for residents of Earl's Terrace, which was laid out as part of the Edwardes estate and developed by Louis Leon Changeur, who also developed Edwardes Square. The terrace is set back from the south side of High Street Kensington, fronted by the strip of garden laid out with areas of shrubs and grass, with a lodge at each end and railings to the road. Behind the terrace are private gardens.

Practical Information
Site location:
High Street Kensington/Earls Terrace
Postcode:
W8
What 3 Words:
winner.added.vision
Type of site:
Private Garden
Borough:
Kensington & Chelsea
Open to public?
No
Opening times:
private, for keyholders only
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Earls Court (District, Piccadilly), High Street Kensington (District, Circle)
Research updated:
01/10/2007
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.northacre.com

Full Site Description

Earl's Terrace was part of the Edwardes estate and was developed by Louis Leon Changeur, who also developed Edwardes Square (q.v.). The architect was probably David James Bunning. The second Lord Kensington began to let land for building from c.1811. Earl's Terrace is set back from the south side of High Street Kensington fronted by a garden and was their most ambitious enterprise. The small square corner lodges and an area of grass and trees, surrounded by railings protect the terrace from the noise of the main road. It is protected under Act of 1819 and 1851 Garden Square Act. In 1928 it was owned by Amalgamated Estates Ltd and described as 'a long narrow enclosure forming, with an approach road, a common frontage to a number of dwelling-houses facing Kensington Road. Enclosed on the public road side by a wall with iron railings on top and laid out partly as a lawn and partly as a shrubbery. Contains some fine trees.' It was at that time maintained by a Garden Committee elected by the male householders, out of rates levied by the Council on occupiers of 'certain houses adjoining the enclosure'. At the rear of the terrace are private gardens behind a brick wall, with numerous trees. In the 1990s the terrace was procured by developers Northacre plc and restored by 1999, with the carriage driveway reinstated over underground car parking and under the gardens a games room and swimming pool created for the residents of the 23 houses.

Sources consulted:

RBKC Edwardes Square, Scarsdale and Abingdon Conservation Area Policy Statement (n.d. 1980s); Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition); Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ249791 (524950,179210)
Size in hectares:
0.5057
Site ownership:
private (Northacre plc)
Site management:
Northacre plc
Date(s):
c.1820
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: 1-25 Earls Terrace, lodges
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

Yes

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Edwardes Square, Scarsdale and Abingdon
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None
Photos

Earl's Terrace

Earl's Terrace - Photo: Colin Wing
Date taken: 06/10/21 15:02

Click a photo to enlarge.

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.