fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Tedworth Square (Kensington & Chelsea)

Brief Description

The private communal garden was provided for residents of Tedworth Square, which was built in 1871 as part of the development of the Cadogan Estate. The land was acquired by the Cadogans in 1753 when Sir Hans Sloane's will divided his estate between his daughters, Mrs Stanley and Elizabeth Cadogan. Tedworth Square was named after the wife of Revd. George Sloane-Stanley, who came from Tedworth in Hampshire. The garden has mature plane trees, lawn, flowerbeds, and surrounded by modern railings backed by privet hedge.

Practical Information
Site location:
Tedworth Square/Tite Street
Postcode:
SW3
What 3 Words:
moss.eggs.token
Type of site:
Garden Square
Borough:
Kensington & Chelsea
Open to public?
No
Opening times:
private
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Sloane Square (Circle, District)
Research updated:
01/10/2007
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Full Site Description

Tedworth Square was built in 1871 as part of the development of the Cadogan Estate on land acquired by the Cadogan family in 1753 when Sir Hans Sloane's will divided his estate between his daughters, Mrs Stanley, and Elizabeth Lady Cadogan. The site was once that of Durham House market garden. Its name derives from the wife of Revd. George Sloane-Stanley, who came from Tedworth in Hampshire. In 1928 it was owned by Earl Cadogan and/or his Trustees, and the central garden was reserved for the use of leaseholders of houses adjoining the gardens, the leases expiring in 1952, who paid fees for its upkeep that was managed by a Committee of householders. In that year it was described as an 'almost square area surrounded by a thick privet hedge and attractively laid out with lawns, flower beds and trees.' The north side was demolished in 1977 and the terrace was rebuilt in 1978-81 by Chapman Taylor Partners, for private developers who had purchased the north side of the square from the Cadogan Estate. The railings are modern, backed by a privet hedge. Inside the garden are flower beds, grass and mature plane trees. Famous residents of Tedworth Square include Mark Twain at No. 23, Lily Langtry and Mrs Patrick Campbell.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; RBKC Royal Hospital Conservation Area Proposals Statement

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ276780 (527644,178079)
Size in hectares:
0.1962
Site ownership:
Cadogan Estate?
Site management:
Garden Committee
Date(s):
1871
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

Yes

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Royal Hospital
Tree Preservation Order:
Yes
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None
Photos

Tedworth Square

Tedworth Square - Photo: Colin Wing
Date taken: 16/04/21 11:04

Click a photo to enlarge.

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.