fbpx

Inventory Site Record

St John the Baptist Churchyard, Malden (Kingston)

Brief Description

There has been a church here since medieval times. The medieval flintwork chancel remains although in the early C17th St John the Baptist was rebuilt at the expense of the Lord of the Manor, John Goode (d.1627), to whom a tablet was erected in the chancel. In 1875 a new nave and chancel were built by T G Jackson. The churchyard has a lych gate at the entrance beside which is a war memorial. There are a number of grand tombs and churchyard trees include willow and ash.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Malden Parish Church
Site location:
Church Road, Old Malden
Postcode:
KT4 7RY
What 3 Words:
dices.faster.paths
Type of site:
Churchyard
Borough:
Kingston
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Malden Manor
Research updated:
01/03/2004
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.achurchnearyou.com/stjohnsoldmalden/

Full Site Description

An Iron Age settlement was discovered near here and mention is made of a settlement at Malden in the Domesday Book in 1086 and remnants of the old village are still visible, including the church, the Manor House of c.1700, the C15th Plough Inn, reputedly once a refuge for the highwayman Dick Turpin, and Malden Pond now enclosed by railings. The village once had three ponds; a Tithe Map of 1839 shows Malden Pond and the easternmost of the three within the garden and orchard of the Plough Inn, and the third pond near the site of the current library. Malden was renamed Old Malden when the station at New Malden opened in 1846 to the north. Malden comes from Mael-dun which meant 'a cross on the hill' in Anglo Saxon, and a church has been here since medieval times.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Sue Swales, Ian Yarham, Bob Britton, 'Nature Conservation in Kingston upon Thames', Ecology Handbook 18 (London Ecology Unit) 1992; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993).

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ211662 (521090,166230)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
Church of England, Diocese of Southwark
Site management:
Church
Date(s):
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: St John's Church; Manor House
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Old Malden St John's
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
Yes
Special Policy Area:
Yes - Area of Archaeological Significance
Other LA designation:
None
Photos

St John the Baptist Churchyard, Malden

St John the Baptist Churchyard, Malden - Photo: Colin Wing
Date taken: 01/06/21 14:18

Click a photo to enlarge.

More photos

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.