fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Victoria Recreation Ground (Kingston)

Brief Description

The land for a recreation ground was initially leased from the Earl of Lovelace in 1888 and was later purchased in 1901. Originally known as Balaclava Recreation Ground, in 1902 it was renamed Victoria Recreation Ground for Queen Victoria. The park is rectangular with a central pavilion; a perimeter path runs along the boundary with Balaclava Road and along the railway that borders the park to the south are trees and shrubs, with seating at intervals. A central path divides the main area of grass, with a drinking fountain gifted by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association where the path meets the perimeter along the railway.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Balaclava Recreation Ground
Site location:
Balaclava Road/Victoria Avenue
Postcode:
KT6 5JL
What 3 Words:
shed.glass.churn
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Kingston
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Playground, tennis courts, cricket and football pitches, toilets; cafe
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Surbiton. Bus: K3
Research updated:
02/03/2023
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.kingston.gov.uk/browse/environment/parks/recreation_sites

Full Site Description

Victoria Recreation Ground originated as Balaclava Recreation Ground, which dated from 1888 when the land was leased from the Earl of Lovelace for £30 per annum. In 1901 the land was eventually purchased for £10,000 and in 1902 the recreation ground was renamed Victoria Recreation Ground in commemoration of Queen Victoria. A cricket pavilion was built in 1907; this is now the park cafe, 'Tarte in the Park'. The park is rectangular with a central path dividing the main areas of grass and a perimeter path with trees along the boundary with Balaclava Road and along the railway that borders the park to the south are trees and shrubs, with seating at intervals. A polished granite drinking fountain was gifted to the park by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association on 14 September 1916 and is located where the path meets the perimeter along the railway. There are a number of flower beds by the entrance gates at the south-east.

As part of Kingston's Community Parks Programme, access around the park has been improved and two new connecting paths created, together with repairs and resurfacing of existing paths. New play equipment for young children, including cradle seat swings for toddlers, a bigger trampoline, and new vibrant surface playing areas throughout, have improved the playground, which was reopened in October 2019. The Friends of Victoria Rec was established in April 2020 to protect and preserve the park.

Sources consulted:

Richard Stathan 'Surbiton Past' (Phillimore, 1996); http://mdfcta.co.uk/details-f/f168.html

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ174670 (517385,166977)
Size in hectares:
3.301
Site ownership:
RB Kingston
Site management:
Grounds maintenance contractor: Quadron Services Ltd; Friends of Victoria Rec
Date(s):
1888
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Local Open Space (Public Open Space)

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.