Inventory Site Record

Ufford Street Gardens (Lambeth)

Brief Description

In the C18th open ground here was known as Chalcroft Meadow, part of the Manor of Lambeth, owned by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the early C19th the area began to be built on by a Mr Samuel Short, who is recalled in a local street name. By 1901 the houses needed rebuilding and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners decided that part should also be set aside as public open space. Lambeth Borough Council agreed and laid out Ufford Street Recreation Ground, which was transferred to them by the Commissioners in 1907. By the late C20th half the park was laid out as an asphalted playground, the remainder having grass, seats and several mature London plane trees. Having become neglected, in 2008 the park was restored through HLF funding with improved play and sports facilities. It was renamed Ufford Street Gardens.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Chalcroft Meadow, Ufford Street Recreation Ground
Site location:
Ufford Street/Mitre Street
Postcode:
SE1
What 3 Words:
bound.pushes.blame
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Lambeth
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
7.30am - 15 minutes before sunset
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Children's playground (dog free), games court
Events:
Public transport:
Rail/Tube: Waterloo (Northern, Waterloo and City, Jubilee, Bakerloo). Bus: 1, 11, 68, 168, 171
Research updated:
01/07/2013
Last minor changes:
14/07/2022

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lambeth.gov.uk

Full Site Description

The park is within the Waterloo Development area. The name of the park recalls John de Ufford, who was to be Archbishop of Canterbury but who died in 1349 before he was consecrated.

Sources consulted:

Marie Draper 'Lambeth's Open Spaces, An historical account', LB Lambeth 1979

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ314798 (531447,179828)
Size in hectares:
0.2
Site ownership:
LB Lambeth
Site management:
Environment Directorate, Parks and Greenspaces Unit (Team Lambeth)
Date(s):
1907
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
CA
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Park

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.