Inventory Site Record

Morden Recreation Ground

Morden Recreation Ground (Merton)

Brief Description

This area was once ancient woodland and later in agricultural use. Morden Recreation Ground was provided in the early part of the C20th as the area was developed for the LCC St Helier Estate. The recreation ground was laid out with tennis courts, bowling green and putting greens. It is largely grass with some shrub planting, and has perimeter and scattered trees, including a line of oak along the central path. In the eastern corner is a small spinney of historic interest, the site of the small Spittell or Spital estate once part of Merton Abbey. During WWII the recreation ground was dug for allotments.

Practical Information
Site location:
Farm Road/Middleton Road, Morden
Postcode:
SM4
Type of site:
Public Park
Date(s):
1929-36
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
Borough:
Merton
Site ownership:
LB Merton
Site management:
Leisure and Culture Services
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
8am - dusk (weekdays); 9am - dusk (weekends, bank holidays)
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Children's playground, bowling green, tennis courts, football and rugby pitches; car park
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: St Helier, Morden South. Bus: 80

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.merton.gov.uk/environment/openspaces/parks/parks_in_the_morden_area

Full Site Description

Morden Recreation Ground is the largest areas of green within the St Helier Estate in LB Merton. St Helier was the largest LCC estate to be built south of the river and spans the boroughs of Sutton and Merton; it was built between 1929-36 on 334 hectares of former farmland, purchased by the LCC between 1926-29. It is one of a number of important LCC cottage estates inspired by the Garden City movement encouraged by Sir Ebenezer Howard and the pioneering town planning of Barry Parker and Raymond Unwin. The common characteristic was small-scale housing, often with excellent detailing, cul-de-sacs, generous verges and communal open spaces. The estate was named after Lady Susan Mary St Helier, Councillor and LCC Alderman of from 1910-1927 who had campaigned for the improvement of housing facilities in London.

Sources consulted:

Ian Yarham, Dave Dawson, Martin Boyle, Rebecca Holliday 'Nature Conservation in Merton, Ecology Handbook 29', London Ecology Unit, 1998, p96; Paul Harper & others, 'Merton in Pictures Book 4: St Helier Estate' (Merton Library & Heritage Services, 2nd ed. 2000)

Further Information
Grid ref:
TQ257674
Size in hectares:
10.40
On HE National Register :
No
HE grade:
None
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Local Importance (Spinney)
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Public Open Space. Green Corridor

Page Top