Beaumont Square Gardens (Tower Hamlets)
Beaumont Square was laid out as part of the Beaumont Estate in the 1840s. The central garden was originally for the private use of residents but in the late C19th it was leased by the LCC and opened to the public. Beaumont Philosophical Institution used to be in the north-west corner of the square, founded in 1840 to provide 'intellectual improvement and rational recreation and amusement for people living in the East End of London'. In the 1980s the garden underwent major restoration and has planting displays in formal beds, rose beds and fine trees with a children’s playground at the south end.
- Site location:
- Beaumont Square, Stepney Green
- Type of site:
- Garden Square; Public Gardens
- Listed structures:
- Tower Hamlets
- Site ownership:
- LB Tower Hamlets
- Site management:
- Leisure Services, Parks and Open Spaces
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Special conditions:
- Children's playground
- Public transport:
- Tube: Stepney Green (District, Hammersmith & City). Bus: 25
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.towerhamlets.gov.uk
- Grid ref:
- Size in hectares:
- On EH National Register :
- EH grade:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Other LA designation:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act, 1931
This is a garden square laid out in c.1840 and forming the nucleus of the Beaumont Estate, a housing development by Captain J T Barber Beaumont. The central enclosure was originally a private communal garden reserved for use by the residents of surrounding houses but by the end of the C19th it had been opened to the public by the London County Council who had negotiated to lease it from Captain Beaumont for a nominal rent of 5s a year until 1928. In 1928 this arrangement continued and the LCC paid the owner, now Mr F W L C Beaumont, £52 10s per annum. It was open to the public except on one day each year. At that time it was described as 'a rectangular enclosure surrounded by a shrubbery, and attractively laid out with well-kept lawns, tennis courts and flower beds. Contains some fine trees.' In the north-west corner of the square was the Beaumont Philosophical Institution founded by Barber Beaumont in 1840 to provide "intellectual improvement and rational recreation and amusement for people living in the East End of London". The Institution closed in 1879, and the site is now occupied by London Independent Hospital, which opened in 1986. On the east side of the square is Sydney House, which was built in c.1953 as a hostel for the elderly, designed by architect C H James in Regency style with a pediment bearing the date 1953. The garden appeared to be somewhat bare by the early 1960s but in c.1984 Beaumont Square underwent major restoration. There are now regularly renewed planting displays in formal beds, rose beds and fine trees around the perimeter, and a children’s playground at the south end.
Bancroft Library clippings; Tom Ridge, Central Stepney History Walk, (Central Stepney Regeneration Board) 1998; Lieut. Col J J Sexby, The Municipal Parks, Gardens and Open Space of London (their History and Associations, Elliott Stock (London) 1895 (1905 edition); Bridget Cherry, Charles O'Brien, Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 5: East', Yale University Press, 2005.