Inventory Site Record

Shandy Park (Tower Hamlets)

Brief Description

Shandy Park is on the former site of the East London Cemetery or Beaumont Burial Ground, which was founded by Captain J T Barber Beaumont, as part of housing that he built on his land here. The cemetery closed in 1852 and in 1885 it was made into a children's recreation ground, maintained by the LCC who leased the site from the Beaumont family. Some tombs remain in the park. A paddling pool was constructed in the park in c.1934. Terraced houses on surrounding streets suffered bomb damage in WWII and the wider area was subsequently made into the park.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Shandy Street Recreation Ground; Beaumont Burial Ground
Site location:
Shandy Street, Stepney
Postcode:
E1
Type of site:
Public Park
Borough:
Tower Hamlets
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Children's playground, dog exercising enclosure
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Stepney Green (District, Hammersmith & City)

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.towerhamlets.gov.uk

Full Site Description

The park is on the former site of the East London Cemetery or Beaumont Burial Ground, which was founded by Captain J T Barber Beaumont, as part of the early C19th housing that he built on several fields to the north of the village of Stepney. In 1838 the cemetery was described as 'ornamentally planted with grass and shrub, which afford a suitable accompaniment of foliage and flowers to the tombs, and commodious walks...'. Captain Beaumont was buried here in 1841 but later his family moved his remains to Kensal Green Cemetery (q.v.). The cemetery closed in 1852 and the 1.5 acre site was made into a public recreation ground in 1885 laid out by the MPGA; some of the tombs remained but much of it was gravelled. Remaining in the ownership of the Beaumont family, it was leased to the London County Council under an agreement with the owners and made available for 'the recreation of children'; the agreement stipulated that it should be closed to the public on one particular day in September each year. A new paddling pool was provided in 1934, and a short article by Cecil Kahn in The Builder described its method of construction whereby the water was contained 'by a surround of mass-concrete rendered watertight by the addition of "Colemanoid" Liquid in the proportion of one gallon to every fifteen of the gauging water. Stone surrounds contain the trees, the joints being rendered waterproof with mortar in the making of which "Colemanoid" was used.' The paddling pool no longer exists although two large concrete cubes may be remains of the structure.

The terraced houses on four surrounding streets were all bombed in World War II and the entire area was made into the park. Barber Beaumont's large memorial stone was removed to the new People's Palace in 1979. There remain some headstones against the wall adjoining what remains of St Faith's Church (now Arbour Youth Centre), and St Faith's House. The park is a largely grassed area, with some mounding and crossed with paths. There is shrub planting, for example on the perimeter and at entrances, and the park contains some fine mature plane trees.

Sources consulted:

Bancroft Library, Clippings; Lieut. Col J J Sexby, The Municipal Parks, Gardens and Open Space of London (their History and Associations, Elliott Stock (London) 1895 (1905 edition); Mrs Basil Holmes, The London Burial Grounds, London, 1896; Tom Ridge, Central Stepney History Walk (Central Stepney Regeneration Board), 1998; The Builder, 13 July 1934.

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ360819 (536050,181950)
Size in hectares:
1.4592
Site ownership:
LB Tower Hamlets
Site management:
Leisure Services, Parks and Open Spaces
Date(s):
1837; 1885
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None
Photos

Shandy Park

Shandy Park, November 2011. Photo: S Williams

Gravestones, Shandy Park, November 2011. Photo: S Williams
2011
Shandy Park, November 2011. Photo: S Williams
2011
Shandy Park, November 2011. Photo: S Williams
2011

Click a photo to enlarge.

Page Top