Inventory Site Record

Chesham Place

Chesham Place (Westminster)

Summary

Chesham Place is a well-tended triangular garden square laid out in 1831 on land belonging to the Lowndes family. The private garden is overlooked by a row of C19th terraced houses built by Thomas Cubitt that are integral to the original layout. The railings of the square were replaced with wire netting in the C20th. The garden, described in 1928 as 'an attractive ornamental garden', comprises a central lawn with shrubberies of camellias and rhododendrons at the margins.

Basic Details
Site location:
Chesham Place, Belgravia
Postcode:
SW1
Type of site:
Garden Square
Date(s):
1831
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: Mews arch to the end of Belgrave Mews West, 7 - 14, 29-37 & 38 Chesham Place
Borough:
Westminster
Site ownership:
Private
Site management:
Open to public?
No
Opening times:
private, open to keyholders only
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Sloane Square (District, Circle)

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Further Information
Grid ref:
TQ281792
Size in hectares:
c.0.15
On EH National Register :
No
EH grade:
None
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Yes

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Belgravia
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None
Fuller information

The bronze statue, 'Great Flora L' (1978) by German sculptor Fritz Koenig was installed outside the extension to the German Embassy in Chatham Place designed by architects Walther and Bea Betz, 1979.

Sources consulted:

Harold Clunn, the Face of London (c1950), pp.386-87; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993), p.149, Pevsner, vol. 1, p. 556; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928

Page Top