Golders Hill Park (Barnet)
Golders Hill Park is on the site of Golders Hill House and grounds, purchased at auction in 1898 by a committee of local residents. It was opened by the LCC in 1899, the first public park in Hendon. The estate was created in the 1760s for Charles Dingley, for whom 'Capability' Brown reputedly landscaped the grounds, which were improved by Humphry Repton for a subsequent owner. In the 1870s Robert Marnock made further alterations to create a 'natural gardening effect' and enlarged the lake. The café stands on the site of the house, demolished in 1941. The old kitchen garden was laid out by the LCC as an 'Old English Garden'. The park has a woodland garden walk leading to tennis courts, the Swan Pond and Water Gardens; animal enclosures, a small zoo and aviary; on the open grass slope are ancient oaks and a C20th bandstand; a number of sculptures.
- Previous / Other name:
- Golders Hill House estate; Park is now part of Hampstead Heath
- Site location:
- West Heath Road/North End Road, Childs Hill
- Type of site:
- Public Park
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- summer closing: 9.45pm (check opening/winter)
- Special conditions:
- no cycling, dogs on leads
- Café, toilets, playground, tennis courts, aviary, animal enclosures; putting green (summer weekends/BHolidays); Greenhouse open Sat/Sun 2-4pm
- Bandstand concerts (Sundays in summer); children's shows; Golders Hill Horticultural Clinic
- Public transport:
- Tube: Golders Green (Northern) then bus. Bus 210, 268.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk
Full Site Description
Golders Hill Park is on the site of the former Golders Hill House and its landscaped grounds, which was purchased at auction for £35,000 in 1898 by a committee of local residents led by Samuel Figgis and Thomas Barratt. The park was opened by the London County Council (LCC) in 1899, to become the first public park in Hendon. The estate had been created in the 1760s for Charles Dingley, for whom 'Capability' Brown reputedly landscaped the grounds. A subsequent owner, John Coore, probably had the landscape improved with advice from Humphry Repton, who refers in his Memoirs to advising Coore on his villa at Hampstead, i.e. Golders Hill. In the 1870s another landscape gardener, Robert Marnock, who had designed Avenue House Grounds (q.v.), made further alterations for Thomas Spencer Wells, a royal surgeon, aiming to create a 'natural gardening effect' and enlarging the lake. Additions were also made to the C18th house in the 1870s, but this was finally demolished in 1941 following damage in World War II; a café now stands on the site.
The old walled kitchen garden survives and was laid out by the LCC as an 'Old English Garden'; it is adjacent to the greenhouse, in front of a stream and duck pond traversed by a rustic stone bridge. The walled garden remains lavishly planted with a great variety of flowering species, including magnolia and gingko trees, around a central circular pond with fountain surrounded by pergolas. The fountain takes the form of a bronze sculpture, 'Water Baby' by Bainbridge Copnall (1950), which was originally sited in the borough's Victoria Park (q.v.). Another bronze sculpture, 'Golders Hill Girl' by Patricia Finch (1991) was sited across the stream on the grass slope, and near the entrance on North End Road is a work in stone by Mark Batten, 'Diogenist'.
Along the northern perimeter is a woodland garden walk following the course of a stream through rhododendron, gunnera and bamboo to the tennis courts and the larger tree-lined Swan Pond and Water Gardens. The south-eastern side comprises an open grassy slope, with a few ancient oaks and a C20th bandstand of brick with pitched tiled roof. Further downhill are animal enclosures with deer and goats and a small zoo and aviary, which includes flamingos formerly inhabiting the duck pond. Beyond the park boundary is a wilder area of grassland and woodland adjoining the West Heath section of Hampstead Heath.
Golders Hill Park is part of Hampstead Heath (q.v.) and has been managed by the Corporation of London since 1989;
The Garden, vol.16, 13/12/1879, pp530-33 and vol.18, 31/7/1880, p105 (Barnet County File, H.P.G.T.); Andrew Crowe, 'The Parks and Woodlands of London' (Fourth Estate, 1987); G. Carter et al, Humphry Repton Landscape Gardener 1752-1818 (1882); B. Stevenson, Middlesex (1972); Victoria County History: Middlesex vol. VI, V; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998).
Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
- Grid ref:
- TQ256870 (525642,186936)
- Size in hectares:
- (within Hampstead Heath)
- Site ownership:
- City of London Corporation
- Site management:
- Hampstead Heath Management Committee
- 1760s; 1870s; 1898
- C18th: Lancelot 'Capability' Brown, Humphry Repton; 1870s: Robert Marnock;1898/9: LCC
- Listed structures:
- On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Not known
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Yes - Metropolitan Importance
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Yes - Area of Special Archaeological Significance
- Other LA designation:
- Metropolitan Park