Inventory Site Record

Hendon Cemetery and Crematorium

Hendon Cemetery and Crematorium (Barnet)

Brief Description

Hendon Park Cemetery was founded in 1899 by the Abney Park Cemetery Company. Entered through a gatehouse 'inspired by old Hertfordshire churches', the cemetery has a rural ambience, with a stream running through it, and in its early days boasted thousands of trees, now somewhat depleted. In the centre is the flint-faced chapel, to which the Crematorium was added in 1922. The cemetery has separate sections devoted to particular nationalities, including Russian, Greek, Swiss and Japanese, the latter laid out as a traditional garden.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Hendon Park Cemetery
Site location:
Holders Hill Road, Mill Hill
Postcode:
NW7 1NB
Type of site:
Cemetery
Borough:
Barnet
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
8.30am - 4.30pm (October-February)/5.30pm (Mar-April)/7pm (May-September)
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Toilets
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Mill Hill East (Northern) then bus. Bus 221, 240.

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 09/05/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.barnet.gov.uk

Full Site Description

Hendon Park Cemetery was founded by the Abney Park Cemetery Company, which had already set up Abney Park Cemetery (q.v.) in 1840 and Chingford Mount Cemetery (q.v.) in 1884. The land which the Company purchased here in 1899 were once part of Dollis Farm. The cemetery is entered through a 'quaint Old English Style' (Pevsner) Gothic and Tudoresque gatehouse designed by architect Alfred A. Bonella. In the initial years the burial services took place in a temporary chapel building. Bonella also designed the flint-faced chapel in the centre of the cemetery, which opened in July 1903, and was 'inspired by old Hertfordshire churches' according to the cemetery brochure of 1903. The chapel has an archway beneath a tower with corner turret and spike; inside is a terracotta reredos by Cantagalli, a copy of Luca Della Robbia's 'Resurrection' in Florence Cathedral. The Crematorium was added in 1922, built within cloisters that adjoined the chapel. At that time the word 'Crematorium' was added to the Gothic stone lettering at the entrance.

The cemetery has a rural ambience, with a stream running through it crossed by a number of rustic bridges, and, like Abney Park Cemetery, in its early days Hendon Cemetery boasted thousands of trees. The cemetery brochure of 1903 listed the fine variety of trees including fir, pine, ilex, holly, black and Lombardy poplars, oak, elm, maple, ash, plane, and rose acacia; 'clumps of trees dot the meadows in which contrasts and harmonies have been studied, for in them we see such different forms and colours.'. Although this plethora of planting is now much reduced, the cemetery is pleasantly tree-filled.

Within the cemetery layout today are various separate sections devoted to particular nationalities: Russian, Greek, Swiss and Japanese, the latter planned as a traditional Japanese garden with firs and Cherry trees. The Greek plot was purchased after their section at West Norwood Cemetery was full. Among the monuments is a standing bronze figure commemorating C H King who died in 1919 and a tondo of a kneeling woman in memory of Edwin Roscoe Mullins, the sculptor whose work is visible on the Fine Art Society in Bond Street (d.1907). The cemetery was taken over by Barnet Council in 1956.

Sources consulted:

Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons,'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England: London 4: North' (Penguin, 1998)

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ239906 (523893,190837)
Size in hectares:
20
Site ownership:
LB Barnet
Site management:
Cemeteries Dept
Date(s):
1899
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBI: milestone c.1752 (20 yards south of entrance)
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
Yes
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
Yes (part)
Other LA designation:
north-west corner: Area of Special Archaeological Significance
Photos

Hendon Cemetery and Crematorium

Hendon Cemetery and Crematorium, Main Entrance, September 2000. Photo S Williams

Click photo to enlarge.

Page Top