fbpx

Inventory Site Record

Primrose Gardens (Camden)

Brief Description

Primrose Gardens was originally Stanley Gardens, named after a Dean of Westminster of that name, the Deans being landowners here. At one time it was used by Hampstead Cricket Club. The houses of Stanley Gardens, with the elongated oval central garden, were built in the 1880s. The garden was acquired by Hampstead Borough Council in 1920, the name changing to Primrose Gardens in 1939. The garden consists of two railed enclosures with grass and trees, and with a small central paved seating area between them.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Stanley Gardens
Site location:
Primrose Gardens
Postcode:
NW3
What 3 Words:
leap.cage.spite
Type of site:
Public Gardens
Borough:
Camden
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
7.30am - dusk
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Tube: Belsize Park (Northern). London Overground: Gospel Oak. Bus: 168, C11, 268.
Research updated:
01/05/2009
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.camden.gov.uk

Full Site Description

Primrose Gardens was originally known as Stanley Gardens, so-called after a Dean of Westminster of that name, the Deans being owners of the land which was at one time used by Hampstead Cricket Club. The houses of Stanley Gardens, with an elongated oval central garden, were built in the 1880s. The name changed to Primrose Gardens in 1939. The garden is railed as two enclosures between which is a small central paved seating area with low walls/raised beds either side; the two garden areas have grass and trees, but no other features. At either end is a 1927 K2 type telephone kiosk, designed by Giles Gilbert Scott. The garden was acquired by Hampstead Borough Council in 1920 and in 1928 it was described as surrounded by a privet hedge and laid out as a shrubbery with a few trees. It was protected from building by the London Squares and Enclosures (Preservation) Act of 1906.

Sources consulted:

Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; Christopher Wade ed., 'The Streets of Belsize', Camden History Society Street History Group, 1991.

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ274847 (527475,184725)
Size in hectares:
0.1189
Site ownership:
LB Camden
Site management:
Parks & Open Spaces
Date(s):
1880s
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: two telephone kiosks
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
Yes
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
Belsize Park
Tree Preservation Order:
Not known
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
Public Open Space (Small Local)
Photos

Primrose Gardens

Primrose Gardens, August 2002. Photo: S Williams

Primrose Gardens, photograph, 1976. Courtesy of Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre.
1976

Click a photo to enlarge.

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.