Inventory Site Record

Fulham Palace Road Cemetery (Hammersmith & Fulham)

Brief Description

Fulham Cemetery, now generally known as Fulham Palace Road Cemetery, was established by Fulham Burial Board in 1865 and is the oldest of the parish's cemeteries. It was designed by architect John Hall with an entrance lodge and two chapels, and laid out with a grid of walks. The burial ground was extended in 1874 and 1880 but by 1908 it was becoming full and North Sheen Cemetery was opened to cater for the parish needs, although Fulham Old Cemetery is now still open for burial.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Fulham Cemetery; Fulham Old Cemetery
Site location:
Fulham Palace Road
What 3 Words:
Type of site:
Hammersmith & Fulham
Open to public?
Opening times:
opens Mon-Sat 9am; Sun 10am; closes 4pm (Nov - Jan); 5pm (Oct/Feb); 6pm (Mar/Sep); 7pm (Aug/Apr); 8pm (May - Jul). Xmas Day 10am-3pm
Special conditions:
Public transport:
Tube: Hammersmith (Piccadilly, Hammersmith & City, District) then bus. Bus: 74, 220, 430
Research updated:
Last minor changes:

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lbhf.gov.uk/Directory/Community_and_Living/Birth_marriage_and_death/

Full Site Description

Much of the Fulham area was cultivated up until the mid C19th, with orchards, market gardens and nurseries providing the main source of income. It remained largely rural until the arrival of the railway in the 1880s brought rapid housing development although the last farm, Crabtree Farm, was in use until 1910. Land that was previously a nursery was purchased by Fulham Burial Board to establish its cemetery here in 1865. Fulham Cemetery was laid out by architect John Hall who designed the cemetery lodge at the entrance and two Gothic-style chapels, one of which was a Dissenters chapel that has since been demolished. The remaining C of E chapel has a fine tympanum over the entrance showing Christ, two angels and three sleeping crusaders, and an attractive bellcote at the west end. The lodge, which was the residence of the cemetery superintendent, has the Bishopric of London Arms of crossed swords and a mitre on the exterior wall at first floor level. John Hall was a pupil of the renowned architect Arthur William Blomfield, later Sir Arthur Blomfield, himself the son of Bishop of London, Charles James Blomfield.

The cemetery is bounded by stone walls, piers and railings along the main road and within the grounds the grid of walks is lined with small trees and lime trees along the boundary with Fulham Palace Road. The main avenue from the entrance on Fulham Palace Road runs to Munster Road, which was laid out when the cemetery was extended in 1874. The older part of the cemetery is the northern section between the chapel and boundary with Lillie Road Recreation Ground (q.v.). The cemetery was extended again in 1880 when a mortuary was built, but by 1908 it was becoming crowded and Fulham New Cemetery, now known as North Sheen Cemetery (q.v.), was established as overspill. The old cemetery was subsequently referred to as Fulham Old Cemetery.

Among those buried in Fulham Cemetery were numerous local dignitaries, including members of the Flew and Crowther families; Jane and Frederick Wright, married for 48 years and who died within an hour of each other in 1881, who have a fine table tomb; Lieutenant General Sir Burke Cuppage (d.1877) who was Governor of Jersey in the 1860s; comic actor William Blakeley (d.1897) and Emily Sulivan and Robert, Earl of Carnwath (d.1910). A section of land was provided for WWII burials, near the Cross of Sacrifice that now commemorates the dead of both world wars, which was erected by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Designed for the Imperial War Graves Commission in 1919 by Sir Reginald Blomfield, son of Sir Arthur, it takes the form of a Portland stone cross with bronze crusader sword pointing downwards; it is found in literally thousands of cemeteries and churchyards across the country and also in France.

Like Margravine Road Cemetery (q.v.), Fulham Palace Road Cemetery is subject to Hammersmith & Fulham Council policy of grassing over graves older than 50 years, producing a somewhat bland effect but pursued as a means of countering vandalism suffered in the cemeteries. Burial records for Fulham's cemeteries are available at Fulham Town Hall.

Sources consulted:

Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008) p155; John Archer, Daniel Keech 'Nature Conservation in Hammersmith & Fulham', Ecology Handbook 25, London Ecology Unit, 1993; LB Hammersmith & Fulham 'Crabtree Conservation Area Character Profile', 2001. See Hammersmith Council website Historical Sculptures Search

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ238772 (523943,177208)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
LB Hammersmith & Fulham
Site management:
Environment Department, Cemeteries & Facilities Office
John Hall
Listed structures:
Building of Merit (local list): Chapel, Lodge, boundary railings, gates, piers and stone wall
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:


Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
In Conservation Area:
Conservation Area name:
Crabtree CA28 1989
Tree Preservation Order:
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Local Importance
Green Belt:
Metropolitan Open Land:
Special Policy Area:
Other LA designation:
Open Space of Borough-wide Importance

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.