Brompton Square (Kensington & Chelsea)
The houses of Brompton Square were built between 1821 and 1835, and the communal gardens provided for the use of occupants of the square were laid out in c.1821. They consisted of two enclosures, a small circular garden and a long narrow enclosure, and remain little changed today.
- Site location:
- Brompton Square/Brompton Road
- Type of site:
- Garden Square
- 1821, 1834-5
- Listed structures:
- Kensington & Chelsea
- Site ownership:
- Site management:
- Open to public?
- Opening times:
- Has opened for OGSW. Otherwise private, for keyholders only
Has taken part in Open Garden Squares Weekend 3 times, most recently in 2003.
- Special conditions:
- Public transport:
- Tube: Knightsbridge (Piccadilly)
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
- Grid ref:
- TQ272792 (527216,179263)
- Size in hectares:
- On EH National Register :
- EH grade:
- Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
- Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Local Authority Data
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
- On Local List:
- In Conservation Area:
- Conservation Area name:
- Tree Preservation Order:
- Nature Conservation Area:
- Green Belt:
- Metropolitan Open Land:
- Special Policy Area:
- Yes - Area of Metropolitan Importance
- Other LA designation:
Brompton Square was laid out from 1821, the narrow fronted houses on the east and west sides designed by Robert Darley. The north end was designed some ten years later by J. Blore. The houses overlook a long narrow garden enclosure that retains its original railings and gate piers. Within are mature lime trees and an open grassed space in the centre. At the far end is a separate circular railed enclosure with some planting of roses, and a number of mature trees and gravel paths. In 1928 the garden was owned by members of the Barff family and it was provided for the use of the inhabitants of Brompton Square. It was maintained by a Committee of the occupiers of houses out of a rate annually levied by the Borough Council. At that time it was described much as it is today: 'Two enclosures, one a very small circular area and the other a long narrow rectangular area. Surrounded by privet hedge. Laid out as an ornamental garden with grass plots, flower beds, etc. and contains some well-grown trees. Overlooked by dwelling-houses.'
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928