fbpx

Inventory Site Record

St Paul's Churchyard (Kingston)

Brief Description

The small hamlet of Hook became a separate parish from Kingston in 1839 and in that year the first church was built. It became too small and had damp problems so a larger church was built on a site to the north and consecrated on St Paul's Day in 1883. The WWI War Memorial stands near the site of the original church. The churchyard was extended in 1900. A Garden of Remembrance was created in 1948 as a WWII memorial, at the instigation of the vicar. Among those buried in the churchyard is the Australian pioneering aviator, Harry Hawker, who died in an air crash in 1921.

Practical Information
Previous / Other name:
Hook Parish Church
Site location:
Hook Road
Postcode:
KT9 1PF
What 3 Words:
drum.engine.mental
Type of site:
Churchyard
Borough:
Kingston
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport:
Rail: Chessington North. Bus: 71, 465, 467, K4.
Research updated:
01/04/2012
Last minor changes:
19/07/2023

Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stpaulschurchhook.co.uk

Full Site Description

Hook was a hamlet on the Leatherhead Road recorded in documents soon after the Domesday Survey. It was originally called 'La Hoke', so-named due to its long thin shape. The area began to be developed as Surbiton town grew up, particularly following the coming of the railway. The village of Hook merged with Surbiton Borough Council in 1894. Hook had become a separate parish from Kingston in 1839 and the first church was built in that year, paid for by a bequest of Mrs Savage, wife of the vicar of Kingston. She had died in 1833 leaving £1,000 in trust towards building a new place of worship in Hook. The church later had damp problems and had also become too small so further land to the north was purchased for £100, formerly a close or orchard on land belonging to Elizabeth Pyne. The new church was built to the north of the old church and was designed by Carpenter and Ingelow; its foundation stone was laid in 1882 and it was consecrated on St Paul's Day in January 1883. The old church was then demolished; the 1914-1918 War Memorial, unveiled in 1920, is close to the site of the original church.

The churchyard had been extended in 1900 with further land purchased from Mrs Pyne. Behind the church at the west end a small walled Garden of Remembrance for cremated ashes was created in 1948 as a WWII memorial. It was the idea of Revd John Selwyn Taborn, whose ashes were interred here in 1984, even through he had retired to Devon. The lych gate was erected in 1914 in memory of James Cundy, Emily Clayton and Francis Stephen Clayton. St Paul's Centre was built on the north side of the church in 1983 to celebrate its centenary. Among those buried in the churchyard are the Australian pioneering aviator, Harry George Hawker, MBE, AFC, who used to live opposite the church and died in an air crash in 1921 while testing the Nieuport Goshawk near Hendon; and John Selfe and his family, who built Selfe Park, which later came to be called Surbiton Park. Harry Hawker was the chief test pilot for Sopwith and was involved in the design of many of their aircraft. After WWI he co-founded Hawker Aircraft, which was responsible for producing successful military aircraft.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Mark Davison, 'Hook Remembered', 1997; Marion C Bone, 'The Story of Hook in Kingston', Parochial Church Council, 1989

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ179647 (517968,164720)
Size in hectares:
Site ownership:
Diocese of Southwark
Site management:
Church
Date(s):
1839
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
None
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

No
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
No
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
No
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
No
Special Policy Area:
No
Other LA designation:
None

Please note the Inventory and its content are provided for your general information only and are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check the accuracy.