Inventory Site Record

Kew Green and Kew Pond

Kew Green and Kew Pond (Richmond)

Brief Description

Kew Green today is a triangular space bisected by the busy Kew Road, largely grass with mature chestnuts and other trees mainly around its periphery. It has long been popular for its cricket matches. The focal point at the apex of the triangle is the fine entrance gate to the Royal Botanical Gardens, and to the south of the Green lies the parish church and walled churchyard of St Anne. In the north east corner is Kew Pond, an old horse pond.

Practical Information
Site location:
Kew Road, Richmond
Postcode:
TW9 3AA
Type of site:
Public Open Land
Borough:
Richmond
Open to public?
Yes
Opening times:
unrestricted
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Cricket pitches (leased to clubs)
Events:
Horticultural show in August
Public transport:
Rail: Kew Bridge. Rail/London Overground/Tube (District): Kew Gardens. Bus: 237, 267, 391, 65

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.richmond.gov.uk/parks_and_open_spaces

Full Site Description

Kew Green today is cut across by the busy Kew Road, and on two sides is surrounded by some excellent C18th houses. The focal point of the Green at the apex of the triangle is Decimus Burton's wrought iron entrance gate to the Royal Botanical Gardens (q.v.), fronted by a railed area of grass with a central ornamental planter with exuberant floral display. At the south, and within the area of the Green, lies the parish church and walled churchyard of St Anne (q.v.), to the west of which on the Green is the parish war memorial. The War Memorial was originally maintained by the Kew Commonable Lands Committee, who obtained agreement of the Crown in 1939 that its maintenance be passed over to Richmond Corporation. In the north-east corner is Kew Pond, an old horse pond now an attractive feature thanks to volunteers who have planted the island and pond edges. A number of paths criss-cross the Green, and the popular cricket pitch between Kew Road, the churchyard and the Botanic Gardens has a small pavilion. During August, a horticultural show is held on part of the Green, helping to maintain its village atmosphere.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; John Archer, David Curson, 'Nature Conservation in Richmond upon Thames, Ecology Handbook 21', (London Ecology Unit) 1993 p84

Further Information (Planning and Conservation)
Grid ref:
TQ189775 (518962,177550)
Size in hectares:
4.44
Site ownership:
Crown Estate Commissioners (Pond owned by HM The Queen)
Site management:
LB Richmond, Environment Planning & Review, Parks and Open Spaces
Date(s):
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
LBII: some of surrounding C18 houses - check which
On National Heritage List for England (NHLE), Parks & Gardens:

No
Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:

Yes: Common (Kew Pond CL105/Green (TVG28 -2 areas)
Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:

No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No
In Conservation Area:
Yes
Conservation Area name:
CA
Tree Preservation Order:
No
Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Local Importance (pond)
Green Belt:
No
Metropolitan Open Land:
Yes
Special Policy Area:
Yes - Thames Policy Area
Other LA designation:
north-east: Proposed area of environmental improvement

Page Top